Blackmagic are about to (formally) announce yet another camera to add to their current line-up of three camera's. This fourth -the Studio Camera- is said to be a FullHD 1080p camera with a small sensor to accomodate existing ENG lenses.
I'll update this post as the official announcement comes to pass. Would be nice if they'd also announce a massive firmware update to all their current camera's...
Below are TWO updates, the DETAILS and MORE DETAILS
Supported video formats for Blackmagic Studio Camera
- 1920 x 1080p23.98
- 1920 x 1080p24
- 1920 x 1080p25
- 1920 x 1080p29.97
- 1920 x 1080p30
- 1920 x 1080p50
- 1920 x 1080p59.94
- 1920 x 1080p60
- 1920 x 1080i50
- 1920 x 1080i59.94
- 1920 x 1080i60
Features of the Blackmagic Design Studio Camera
- FRONT TALLY LIGHT Indicates to the on-air talent which camera is currently “live”.
- LANC REMOTE 2.5mm stereo jack for LANC remote control supports iris, zoom and focus control.
- AVIATION HEADPHONE S0.25″ TRS connector for monitoring PGM and control room audio with aviation style headsets.
- HEADPHONES MICROPHONE INPUT 0.206″ TRS connector for talking to the control room with aviation style headsets.
- AUDIO INPUTS 2 x 1/4″ balanced XLR connectors for audio input.
- OPTICAL INPUT/OUTPUT Optical input and output allows cable runs of up to 28 miles.
- SDI OUT SDI output for connecting to a switcher or other device.
- SDI IN SDI input allows the camera operator to view the Program (PGM) output.
- REFERENCE INPUT Allows multiple cameras to be genlocked to a blackburst or tri-level reference signal.
- POWER 12 – 24V power input for power supply and battery charging. Getting Started FOCUS IRIS PTT PGM LUT SET DISPLAY MENU
- 10″ LCD Monitor live camera output or program output, or view the menu.
- REAR TALLY LIGHT When lit it indicates to the camera operator that their camera is currently “live”.
- FOCUS BUTTON Press once to autofocus or twice to display focus peaking on the LCD.
- IRIS BUTTON Press once for auto exposure.
- PUSH TO TALK BUTTON (PTT) Press and HOLD to talk. Press twice in quick succession for hands free communication. Press again to revert to the default behavior.
- PROGRAM (PGM) BUTTON Press to toggle between live camera output and program output from a switcher control room.
- LOOK UP TABLE (LUT) BUTTON Currently not implemented.
- MENU NAVIGATION BUTTONS Navigate the menu on the LCD.
- SET BUTTON Use this button to conﬁrm your menu selections.
- DISPLAY BUTTON Press this button to toggle overlays on and off.
- MENU BUTTON Access the menu on the LCD.
- POWER BUTTON Press the power button to turn on the Blackmagic Studio Camera. Press and hold the button to turn the camera off.
- USB CONNECTOR
We are extremely excited to have designed the Blackmagic Studio Camera, ever since I was a teenager I have loved live production, it’s so exciting! Traditionally cameras with talkback and tally were very expensive and physically large, so hard to manage. We really wanted to solve this problem by designing a more compact camera that included all the talkback, tally and camera control features of physically much larger cameras.That’s why the Blackmagic Studio Camera was developed. We wanted to build a much smaller camera for portability, however normally small cameras have small tiny screens. We did not want that.
What we really wanted was a much larger viewﬁnder! The result is Blackmagic Studio Camera, the smallest broadcast camera but with a very large viewﬁnder that’s wonderful to use! Precise focus and framing are so easy with a viewﬁnder this large! Of course you get tally indicators, talkback, massive built in battery and of course a fantastic quality camera with ﬂexible MFT lens mount.
It’s everything you need in a complete package! You can plug in larger wind protected microphones even with phantom power and the optical ﬁber is built in so you can run your camera miles away from your switcher! If you need, you can even add a HyperDeck Shuttle and use the camera for general production use!We hope you use your new camera for some amazing live productions and produce some fantastic looking work! We are extremely excited to see what creative work you produce!
Grant Petty CEO Blackmagic Design.
UPDATE: MORE DETAILS
Blackmagic Design have updated their own website with more details. The basic model will be 1080p only, but at the same time they will release a 4K model as well. The 1080p model will be sold for $1,995.- and the 4K will sell for $2,995,-
Here are the official specs from the press release:
- High resolution 1080HD in HD model and Ultra HD sized sensor in 4K model.
- Built in large 10 inch super bright wide viewing angle LCD viewfinder with sun shade.
- Built in optical fiber and regular SDI connections for camera output and monitoring input.
- Compatible with high quality Micro Four Thirds lenses. Compatible with other mounts via common third party adapters such as B4 broadcast lens mount.
- Built in, two way digital quality talkback using high quality affordable general aviation headsets.
- Includes front and rear tally indicators using tally over SDI protocol.
- Features all standard connections, including dual XLR balanced mic/line audio in with switchable phantom power, headphone and microphone jack for talkback, LANC remote control and standard 4 pin XLR broadcast standard DC 12V power connection.
- On screen menus for all camera settings.
- Supports 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30 and up to 60 fps in HD model, up to 30 fps in 4K model.
- Compatible with ATEM range of live production switchers.
Photo by Dave Dugdale (@Dugdale)